Financial decisions is present in almost everything that you do. From that piggy bank when you were still small to those student loans you had to take out in college. It also has a hand in your decision to accept what job offer you want to go with or to go ahead and accept the first job that comes your way. Financial decisions plays a big role in almost everything you do.
More than having a hand in different stages in your life, financial decisions will also play a part in various events and occasions. And with the upcoming Valentine’s day fast approaching, financial decisions will again play a part in your decisions to spend the special day with your loved ones. But how do you go about choosing the best gift when you have to factor in your finances?
History.com even describes Valentines day with people exchanging gifts, cards or even flowers with their loved ones. In essence, even history is telling you that this is a time to where you will incur costs. And if you did not budget for it, then you are in for a big expense. The closer February 14 is, the costlier some items can be.
If you are thinking of getting a nice fancy dinner, not only will it cost you more closer to the special date but you run the risk of facing fully booked dining places. If you wait for the last minute to buy special gifts, you could be looking at empty racks and an empty hand when you get home. You might be forced to just buy the expensive gifts and face credit counseling after because of the unexpected expenses.
How to plan for valentine’s day
As you scratch your head trying to figure out how to make this special occasion even more special for your loved ones, here are some ideas you can look into. You can mix and match, improve or downgrade any of it but the main idea is to look your plan for v-day as financial decision as well as a goal to make you partner feel loved and appreciated as well.
- Cook dinner. This tip usually applies to men or whoever in the relationship cooks less than the other one. For one thing, it shows how you love the other person by agreeing to do something you are not used to doing and the potential embarrassment of having to order pizza after tasting dinner. But it will be a lot of fun and you can even include your kids as you try to impress your other half. They can serve as your wait staff bringing your wife (or husband) to the table you have set up with flowers and candle. Another advantage of cooking dinner is that it is less expensive that going out to fine dining restaurants. Financial decisions can lead you to more creative yet personal gifts for valentine’s day. Not to mention the fact that you will learn a new skill that you can add into your romantic arsenal.
- Get your partner a day pass. This can mean a day full of pampering and no house chores to be done. It may seem too petty but this can actually be one of the greatest gifts you can ever give your wife (usually just the wife). It also falls under your financial decisions because your only expense would be labor. Labor in cleaning the house, making sure the kids are ready for school, food is ready, errands are done and everything else in between. In return, your partner can just sit back and catch-up with her favorite tv series.
- Go on a new adventure. The first thing you might think of could be jumping off a plane, a bridge or even a mountain with a parachute. It can also be about visiting an exotic beach or even going on a cruise. All these costs a lot of money and if you have that kind of cash with you then good for you. But if financial decisions tend to play a big part in your valentine’s day preparations, you can still go on a new adventure with less the cost. Running or biking together can be a good start. Starting to exercise together can have multiple benefits on your relationship. You can also try and celebrate the special day in an orphanage or home for the elderly with your whole family.
- A massage can mean a lot. If you are really pressed for time and money, a massage can be a great lifesaver for people who has no plans yet for valentine’s day. Giving a massage is a great way to de-stress and is one of the best ways to bond with your partner.
- Never underestimate the power of a letter. To stay away from last minute online shopping, you try to tap into your inner Hemingway and pen your way into your partner’s heart. Nothing says “I love you” by actually saying “I love you”.
Financial decisions can give for to your plans
It is not sexy but any expense must be planned. Choosing to overlook planning financial decisions and winging every purchase is a recipe for disaster. Here are some things that you might need to take a look into to help with your financial planning.
- Look into your budget. When talking about financial decisions, everything should start and end with your personal finance or household budget. Before deciding to buy something, you need to look at your budget and see if it is something you can afford.
- You can start preparing for next year. As you go through expenses, you can take note of these and start preparing ahead for next year. One thing you can do with this forward planning is that you can get items at a low price such as plane tickets if you are planning for an extravagant gift. But financial decisions are better planned and prepared for early and way in advance.
- Clearly draw the line on what an emergency is. Buying gifts for your loved ones is not an emergency situation. Although some husbands would completely disagree, there should be clear instances where you can consider using your emergency fund. Losing your job to your car breaking down can have a lot of other emergency situation in between but last minute gift buying should not be one of them. You need to identify your budget priorities and use the funds for what intended purposes.
People needs to take financial planning seriously because this can dictate how their finances will hold up in the future. It is also a good habit to form early on when you take budgeting seriously even in the face of occasions where you are expected to buy gifts for your loved ones. You need to consider your expenses in determining the gift you can give to your partner.
Financial decisions will play an active part in most decisions you will make in life. How you decide on your finances now will ripple out and affect a lot of areas of your life in the future. It goes without saying that when you decide to make good money decisions, it can come back and give you a solid financial standing in the future.